Marble and granite are types of stone that are highly versatile. These types of stones are commonly found across floors, walls, and other decor in locales such as office buildings, malls, museums, and the like.
Does granite and marble carry a certain style of theme? As a matter of fact, they do. Granite and marble with geometrical compositions can look either neoclassical, contemporary, or even carry a Mediterranean theme, depending on what other decor and elements you include in the intended space.
And as mentioned previously, both marble and granite are available in numerous different colors to building owners. You can opt to go for a classical European look by choosing plain or speckled white without swirls or textures, making your space look pure and beautiful. Or you can make your space look more luxurious by going for a speckled or textured black or dark gray. Perhaps you could also go for a unique look with either blue, red, tan, or even another color; whatever drives you and your business.
Advantages of Marble
- Marble creates a very magnificent aesthetic impact on the interiors especially Italian marble.
- Marble flooring is very durable and can last for ages. It is a heavy stone and can take heavy loads on it.
- Marble flooring is scratch resistant.
Disadvantages of Marble
- Marble requires proper care and maintenance. Acid should never be used on marble as it shall loose its shine. Marble should be regularly polished over a period of time to give it a new look. If proper precautions are not taken the marble becomes yellowish in colour.
- Italian marble is usually very soft and prone to cracks. Proper resins have to be used to make the surface strong and solid and avoid further cracks.
- Proper sealants should be used in marble flooring as the marble is highly porous and prone to staining. It absorbs stains very quickly especially kitchen stains hence are not appropriate for kitchen counter tops.
- Marble is very heavy and lot of labour is required in lifting the stone. Only very professional contractors can work with marble flooring and insert design infill’s in the floor.
Advantages of Granite as a Construction Material
As a construction material, granite has the following advantages:
- When sealed properly, granite becomes more is resistant to stains and abrasion.
- It is the ideal material for both outdoor and indoor use due to its exquisite elegance, unmatched hardness, and resistance to abrasion.
- Granite comes in a variety of colors. The color varieties and patterns bring about attractiveness and natural beauty.
- Another characteristic is its resistance to hypo allergens, allergens, and bacteria. It is extremely resistant to water and moisture making it the best hygienic choice for flooring and kitchen countertops.
Disadvantages of Granite as Construction Material
- Granite is a naturally occurring stone. Therefore, one cannot guarantee good quality. It is just a matter of chance. Low-quality tiles may chip.
- Granite is a very expensive material because it must be mined and transported from the quarries and requires polishing by experts.
- Installation of granite is a bit complicated thus requires experts. Installation is laborious and time-consuming.
- Granite is expensive to repair; hence it becomes difficult to regain its original color.